Why "Eight Is Not Enough"?

When we were younger, there was a television sitcom that was called "Eight is Enough". The television watching world was entertained with the thought of a family with eight children. Most of us were shocked at the prospect of such a large family- myself included! Then ever so slowly, God began to work on our hearts, until we surrendered to Him all of our lives- yes even gave Him sovereign control over the size of our family and He has blessed us immeasurably, with eight biological children. Each of these children have been an amazing gift to us and we cherish each of them. And we praised God for them and felt to ourselves "eight is enough" - at least for a time.

Then God began to stir our hearts. It was as if He spoke to say to us "these 8 precious children I have given to you, but what have you given to my orphans in return?" A burden began to build on our hearts to adopt. We knew that for us God still had other plans for us as parents if we would be faithful to His calling- that eight is not enough. And so, we followed this call to adopted and He has continued to blessed us through adoption. First a sibling group of three from Soacha, Colombia. They joined our family in November, 2008. In May 2010, we adopted twin infants from Texas. In September of 2012 we were privileged to return to Colombia and adopt a sibling group of two from Cali. At this time, we anxiously wait for our travel date to depart for China where a very special girl and boy wait for their forever family. By the time they all reach adulthood, we will have had the amazing privilege to be parents of children in our home for a half century. Our life is full beyond measure, beyond our wildest expectations, yes even beyond anything we could have ever hoped. Truly, eight is not enough. As of late we have wondered if God's plan for us as parents all along was not for eight children, but rather eight plus eight. Our heavenly Father knows and His word assures us "I know the plans I have made for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you." We trust He knows the number of His children He wants us to love and to nurture on His behalf, and whether that is eight or eighty times eight we stand ready and say speak Lord, your servants are listening and are prepared to be father and mother to your fatherless on earth.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Have You Ever Loved a Child?


Have you ever loved a child who grows inside the womb of the wife of your youth? I have known this love.
Have you ever loved a child who is just bursting forth into the world screaming, but oh so soft and warm and full of promise? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child who grows inside the womb of the wife of your youth, who the LORD chooses not to bring to term, a child whom your will only meet in Glory? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child only to discover one day the child has become an adult and you must let them go ? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child who does not look like you, and in whose veins flow the blood of others? I have known this love.
Have you ever loved a child who can look into your eyes and pierce you into your very soul? I have known this love.
Have you ever loved a child who is hurting from neglect or abuse? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child God has given you and felt the breath of life slip out of him? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child that God allows their lungs to begin to pump again, or return from serious illness? I have know this love.
Have you ever loved a child who was not created perfectly by the world's standards, but perfectly by God's? I have known this love.
Have you ever loved a child who has lived through great tragedy in life? I have known this love.
Have you ever been a child in need of a great love? I have been that child and the Father of Life has given me that love.
God has given me so many amazing moments and memories as a dad. Two days till we leave for Colombia and I am praising God for His love for me and for all these 33 years he has allowed me to experience the love of so many children.

1 comment:

Jerica S said...

We will be praying for you! We will miss ya guys!!!! Have a great time and safe travels....hope you all stay healthy and free from sickness. Love you guys soooo much! You guys are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)