Last summer, I listened to a radio talk show that recounted the story of a popular entertainer who was being criticized for daring to have a fourth child. That broadcast made me feel compelled to share my thoughts in response. In the short spot during that broadcast, this man was condemned by the "enlightened people" of the entertainment industry. They wanted to condemn the family because they dared to have a 4th child. If only they knew of my family. I am proud to be the father of 13 children, yes that's right 13. The “enlightened people” would be even more appalled to know that I will soon be the father of 15 maybe 16 children. I am immensely proud of each one of my children. Normally, when asked, I tell people I ONLY have 13 children. The ONLY generally causes people to not ask all the follow on questions you can imagine they think of. My children range in age from 32 years old to twins who are 2 years old. Eight of these children are biological children (yes all by my ONE wife of 34 years). When we could no longer conceive children of our own, we felt that God was still not finished with us as parents. We felt a calling to expand our family through adoption. Three years ago, we adopted a sibling group of 3 children from one of the slums surrounding Bogota, Colombia. Two summers ago we had the amazing opportunity to adopt infant twins from San Antonio, Texas. Our son Isaiah very nearly did not survive his 2 month premature birth weight of 2 pounds 13 ounces. My wife Betty and I had always wanted twins - just never expected to have them in our 50s. More shocking to the opponents of children (because fundamentally that's who they are) we in the process of adoption again. We have also had multiple children lost through miscarriage. Had we not adopted our three Colombian kids, they were destined for abject poverty and probably death on the streets of Bogota. I suspect those who criticized the gentleman expecting his fourth child would not have grieved for them or the millions like them. I also believe they would have screamed at the unwed mother who gave the twins to us through adoption that she should have aborted them. Ah if only you could see my son Isaiah and his four dimples when he smiles for me his daddy. We don't know where God will bring us our next children from, but I feel secure many would say that their lives are of no value and should have never been conceived. I say they are so sadly and totally wrong.
Life has value. Even when we don't value it, life has value. It is the gift of the Creator of the universe.
What ever happened to us in America? What happened to the days when children were valued as the gift of God. In my father's generation, the birth of a child was considered a cause for celebration. A son was the apple of a father's eye! The entire community rejoiced with the family. What ever happened in America that has brought us to the low place we now find ourselves where children are no longer a blessing, no longer valued for the future they represent? Whatever happened to America? What has cause so many in America and the other Western Countries to now view children as burden, a financial liability, and a drain on their pursuit of self indulgence and self gratification? What ever happened to America?
I suspect it has changed dramatically from the vision our founding fathers had. I suspect they never expected we would push the God they served and the values they held out of our public square. I suspect they never imagined how far morality would sink in the Home of the Brave. I suspect they never imagined a day when the phrase we do ordain for ourselves and our posterity would be replaced with the phrase we do ordain for ourselves and no longer desire posterity. I suspect they never imagined the day that a man would not view his role as a father as the greatest role he would ever play. I suspect they never imagined a day like today.
As we in the western world devalue children, Latin America, Islam and other places where children are valued continue to grow because they VALUE children. Opponents of children and larger families will eventually loose this battle, but they will not loose it to man like me, but rather to cultures and ideologies who open their arms to accept the blessing of children, and in that day I wonder if America will any longer bear any resemblance to its beginnings. I find myself wondering if we in America will go the way of Japan and western European countries. Will our birth rate become so low we will simply become extinct? Yes, I wonder, whatever happened to America.
Could it be that we are loosing favor in the sight of God who commanded us to be fruitful and multiply? Could it be that when we as a nation evicted God from our classrooms that He in turn might choose to with hold His blessing from our nation? Could it be that when we stripped the ten commandments from the walls of our courthouses and other public places that He might choose to abandon us as a nation to our own depravity to live in the absence of the moral law which was so apply stated in His ten commandments. Has He returned us to the time of the book of Judges where every man does as he desires in his own heart – without restraint? Could it be that as we as a nation have devised unimaginable forms of birth control and abortions, that He has allowed the darkness of our deeds to snuff out our ability to see the perfection of His light?
Yes, I wonder, what hope remains for my beloved America that has banished God from so many places in our lives. If you know my Lord, then you know even in these times filled with discouragement, we have hope, and that hope has a name. Yes, a name that is above every other name. The name is Jesus, the Christ. While we yet wait for His return, we as His people have great hope though we live in what seams to be hopeless times. When He comes He will surely judge the nations, but we His people will rejoice and be glad in that day. And in that day, it will not matter what has happened to America.
I don't hold a lot of degrees or powerful positions in my community. I would say that I am relatively unknown except for a couple of articles I published about adoption that few have probably read. I have served this county's Army for 20 years, and my God for 40 years. I am nobody special and nobody of any significance except perhaps to those 13 who call me daddy, and that is all that matters. I will raise them to value life, and faith and family.
Jim
Why "Eight Is Not Enough"?
When we were younger, there was a television sitcom that was called "Eight is Enough". The television watching world was entertained with the thought of a family with eight children. Most of us were shocked at the prospect of such a large family- myself included! Then ever so slowly, God began to work on our hearts, until we surrendered to Him all of our lives- yes even gave Him sovereign control over the size of our family and He has blessed us immeasurably, with eight biological children. Each of these children have been an amazing gift to us and we cherish each of them. And we praised God for them and felt to ourselves "eight is enough" - at least for a time.
Then God began to stir our hearts. It was as if He spoke to say to us "these 8 precious children I have given to you, but what have you given to my orphans in return?" A burden began to build on our hearts to adopt. We knew that for us God still had other plans for us as parents if we would be faithful to His calling- that eight is not enough. And so, we followed this call to adopted and He has continued to blessed us through adoption. First a sibling group of three from Soacha, Colombia. They joined our family in November, 2008. In May 2010, we adopted twin infants from Texas. In September of 2012 we were privileged to return to Colombia and adopt a sibling group of two from Cali. At this time, we anxiously wait for our travel date to depart for China where a very special girl and boy wait for their forever family. By the time they all reach adulthood, we will have had the amazing privilege to be parents of children in our home for a half century. Our life is full beyond measure, beyond our wildest expectations, yes even beyond anything we could have ever hoped. Truly, eight is not enough. As of late we have wondered if God's plan for us as parents all along was not for eight children, but rather eight plus eight. Our heavenly Father knows and His word assures us "I know the plans I have made for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you." We trust He knows the number of His children He wants us to love and to nurture on His behalf, and whether that is eight or eighty times eight we stand ready and say speak Lord, your servants are listening and are prepared to be father and mother to your fatherless on earth.
Then God began to stir our hearts. It was as if He spoke to say to us "these 8 precious children I have given to you, but what have you given to my orphans in return?" A burden began to build on our hearts to adopt. We knew that for us God still had other plans for us as parents if we would be faithful to His calling- that eight is not enough. And so, we followed this call to adopted and He has continued to blessed us through adoption. First a sibling group of three from Soacha, Colombia. They joined our family in November, 2008. In May 2010, we adopted twin infants from Texas. In September of 2012 we were privileged to return to Colombia and adopt a sibling group of two from Cali. At this time, we anxiously wait for our travel date to depart for China where a very special girl and boy wait for their forever family. By the time they all reach adulthood, we will have had the amazing privilege to be parents of children in our home for a half century. Our life is full beyond measure, beyond our wildest expectations, yes even beyond anything we could have ever hoped. Truly, eight is not enough. As of late we have wondered if God's plan for us as parents all along was not for eight children, but rather eight plus eight. Our heavenly Father knows and His word assures us "I know the plans I have made for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you." We trust He knows the number of His children He wants us to love and to nurture on His behalf, and whether that is eight or eighty times eight we stand ready and say speak Lord, your servants are listening and are prepared to be father and mother to your fatherless on earth.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment