I asked them if they had thought adoption had been a good thing for our family- They all answered with a resounding YES!
I asked them if they thought we should adopt again- YES!
I asked the first three kids we adopted if they were glad we adopted them - YES!
We asked the adopted kids if they thought we had treated them the same as the other kids - YES!
I asked my biological kids if the experience of having siblings of another race had changed how they view people who are "not like them" (we now have Hispanic children and the twins are half Hispanic and half African American). They answered:
"It made me realize we are all the same inside"
"My view hasn't changed, they are the same as me and you"
"I used to notice what race people were when I came in contact with them, now I don't even notice."
"Color doesn't matter"
"No, I always felt like it is important to look at someone not by their looks, but instead at who they are as a person."
Answers that can only encourage the heart of their dad.
I asked the first three we adopted what were the three best things about being in our family- one of them told me one of the best things was that we had never lost him. When I asked what he meant, I quickly discovered he was happy that we had never abandoned him as his biological mother had - and I wept over this answer. He has been through so much.
I asked our biological kids if there was anything from their life before adoption that they missed- NO!
One child told us he thought we should get a bigger van and adopt more kids.
I asked my older girls what did they think of adoption 4 years ago and what do you think of it now-
"I thought 4 years ago it was a fun adventure. Now that I have experience it, I know it is sometimes a difficult journey, but the end results are so worth it."
"My views about adoption have changed a lot in the last 4 years. Before we started this process I really didn't know a lot about adoption. I now know that we are all called to help care for orphans. We all need to obey God's command regarding orphans. Not only are orphans blessed through the process, but it also changes everyone involved in the process."
What are the three best things that have resulted from these two adoptions-
"Seeing other people (outside our family) being touched and helping orphans in some way"
"My faith and trust in God has been changed"
What is different in our family that you least expected-
"I never guessed how much this adoption would impact my relationship with God. I am so amazed at how God knew exactly what these kids needed and felt we were worthy to give them that."
Do you think adoption has been a good thing or a bad thing? Why?
"Adoption has been a good thing for our family. It has changed each and everyone of our lives. The kids have been accepted into a loving family and have hope for the future. We have all been blessed with the smiles, laughter, hugs ect... It also tested our faith in many ways causing us to trust and rely on God. We have also seen the amazing way that God provides for the orphans. Lastly, we have met new people (families) and developed relationships with them."
Finally, in response to my question should we adopt again, my daughter Brianne tells her Daddy: "We have love to give to more kids. They sit in Colombia with very little promise for a future. Each day these kids dream of finding a mom and dad who will love them. Yes, we all make mistakes. Maybe you aren't the "perfect" parent, but guess what- due to our fallen, sinful nature, none of us can ever be the perfect parent. You have been a wonderfully amazing Godly role model to me. I could never ask for a better dad. You are striving to obey God in the way you raise us. That is a precious gift to us kids. You are loving, caring, kind and go out of your way to make sure we are supported, loved and raised to honor God. We have love, room and resources to give. How can we say no to these kids? How can we not share our love? How can we not give some child hope for the future?" She then turned the table on me and said: "Now can I ask you what is holding you back? I would love to pray for you that God would give you a clear answer."
After reading this final answer on the final page of answered questions, I was absolutely floored. I was humbled. I was amazed at the depth of these thoughts. I was amazed at how much more clearly my children saw this than did I. If I was holding on to any doubts, at that moment I simply let go. God had used my children to show me His answer- His plan for our family. If God's plan is for us to go- then we would have it no other way. His ways are perfect. To paraphrase from His word:
I know the plans I have for you declares the LORD. Plans to profit you not to harm you. As a family we now move forward- each and every one excited for the LORD to fully reveal these plans - to reveal the children He has wanted to bless us with. WE ARE SO EXCITED- REJOICE WITH US.
Now back to the title of this post. 15 red roses and two arrows. God gave me clarity that His plan was for us to return to Colombia right before Valentine's Day. So my gifts to Betty (who waited patiently for me to clearly discern God's will for our family), were 15 red roses - one for each of our children including the two whom we have not met, and two arrows. The two arrows are symbolic of the two arrows we know God intends to lovingly place in our quiver- and now our prayer is that may He place them there soon.
Jim
3 comments:
Awe.... that's good! love it!
That is awesome. Congratulations!
Yippeee! We love you guys! Thank you for your inspiration for our family and encouraging us to make that trip to Colombia! We're so glad we did! God bless you as you go forward once again!
Post a Comment